Joe Walsh - Theory Review: Learning Environment and Context

 

Theory Review: Learning Environment and Context

 

Joe Walsh

Ball State University

EDAC 635 – Adult and Community Education

9/27/2020

Joe Walsh

Commented On

 

 

 

 

 Environment in Learning

The learning environment is the physical environment where learning occurs.  It may be a classroom or training area, but it is dedicated to training.  The environment sets the stage on how the learning process occurs, and how the learning audience will respond.

Dorothy MacKeracher lists five distinct area of the learning environment: comfort of chairs and tables, sound quality, light and visual quality, air quality, and technology. (MacKeracher, 2010)  MacKeracher describes the learning environment as, “the physical environment generally refers to anything affecting the physical comfort and well-being of both learners and facilitator.” (MacKeracher, 2010)  Each area can improve or inhibit leaning. 

The first area of the learning environment is the comfort if chairs and tables.  In The Trainers Handbook  Karen Lawson breaks down what steps can be taken to create a positive learning environment.  She discusses the many different seating arrangement and how they can shape a training session. (Lawson, 2016)  The second area MacKreacher explores is the sound quality of the learning environment.  This focuses more on the learners with hearing impairments.  Light and visual quality can refer to the lighting of the training area, or visual aids on the walls.  Air quality looks at any dust or debris in the air.  Learners with, “asthma, allergies, and other respiratory ailments,” (MacKeracher, 2010) may struggle with bad air quality.  Technology in the learning environment is the las distinct area.  Lawson went into great detail on the use of technology in training.  Technology greatly alters the training since learning occurs in a virtual environment.  All previous areas of chairs and tables, sound quality, light and visual quality, and air quality are dependent on the learner and not the facilitator. (Lawson, 2016) Deng and Tavares compared Google Sites and Facebook as two virtual platforms for adult learning.  They found that “Structure and control provided by Google Sites and immediacy and interactivity afforded by Facebook become complementary to each other.” (Deng & Tavares) Thomas showed that the idea of learning being attached to a physical location is changing.  The virtual environment is displacing physical environment. (Thomas, 2009)  Even with different platforms, technology aids in learning and is becoming more prominent in the learning environment.

Applications

            I find that technology is highly effective for facilitator and learners in the learning process.  As society continues down the path of technology, facilitators should make technology a top tool to use.  I use technology immediately in class.  I have a large television I use to display my PowerPoint presentations.  I follow the directions of death by PowerPoint to create the best slide show I can.  I have received great feedback from the learner and members of management over my use of this presentation style.  It is not just information on a screen.  I have found that have a white screen with all the information and giving a handout of the presentation does not work in my industry.  I make myself the presentation and the technology as a point of reference. 

            I go on in class to place scanners in their hands.  Using physical technology to learn has become an invaluable asset in the physical learning process.  I put the learners through all the proper steps over how to use the scanner properly.  This helps limit training that occurs as a result of context on the floor.  Many times, the context teaches the learner bad habits.  When I spend substantial time with the proper way to use a scanner in the physical learning environment, I can limit negative of seasoned employees.

Context in Learning

MacKeracher describes the context in learning as the cultural environment.  “Invisible contexts surround us.  These contexts derive from the cultural and social expectations that control and direct how people relate, and work gets done in our various environments.” (MacKeracher, 2010)  Where the physical environment deals with tangible factors a learner can engage with at the sensory level, the cultural environments focus on unseen forces at work.  A facilitator can create a comfortable and conducive physical learning environment, but the context of learning, “exists in the mind of the beholder.” (MacKeracher, 2010)  Context is invisible but can greatly affect the learner.  There are studies that show adolescents adopted healthier lifestyles that, “were often linked to corresponding need-supportive teacher behaviors.” (Dongen et al.) 

Applications

            I find that the learning context to be a polarizing topic in my current situation.  I have spent a great amount of time to create an effective physical training environment.  Once my learners join the floor, they quickly pick up bad habits is the befriend experienced Associates who have bad habits.  If they are lucky to befriend and model employee, they adopt their good habits. 

            I am working with management to change the learning context on the floor.  The goal is the create a production environment that is standardized, uniform, and only changes using formal routes.  This will limit bad contexts that can derail the learning process.  I have been a part of organizations that have a positive cultural environment.  The military is a good example.  The physical training environment matches what is seen in the cultural environment.  We trained exactly as we operated.  There was no room for bad habits to be learned since there is a standard across the board.

Reflection

Highlight

            I really enjoyed learning about the physical learning environment.  I deal with both daily in my job as the Trainer of my facility.  As I read and learned more over the topic I saw how much the physical and cultural environments in my work environment take from my training.  I work very hard to ensure I create a world class training environment to match my company’s motto.  I spend two full days training all new hires.  I have found that once they enter the floor the context of the work environment greatly affects the learning process.  Positive or negative experiences can improve or hinder learning. 

Process

The first thing I did in writing this paper was to refer to the class readings since they are full of knowledge.  MacKeracher was my main source for the paper.  I used Lawson to find tangible ways of using physical environment.  After I found the information from these two sources, I went to the Ball State library database.  I searched for adult education, learning environment, and learning context.  I was able to find four additional scholarly resources.

 Tables

Table 1. Summary of theoretical ideas

Area

Summary

Technology is highly effective for facilitator and learners.

Used in a positive manner, technology can be a great resource for facilitators to teach.  I personally use technology to improve my teaching. By using effective methods (Death by PowerPoint) you can have technology supplement and not supplant the facilitator.

Physical technology can be used in the physical learning process

Using physical technology to learn has become an invaluable asset in the physical learning process.  Physical technology can create muscle memory and create good habits prior to context taking over in the learning process.

Learning context is an invisible culture environment.

Even with a robust physical training environment, the learning context can quickly set the stage for learning.  Cultural and social expectations can set the stage for a positive of negative learning environment.  My own personal experiences have shown that if a negative learning context takes place the physical learning environment can be quickly forgotten.

 

References:

MacKeracher, D. (2010). Making sense of adult learning. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.

Lawson, K. (2016). The trainer's handbook. Hoboken: Wiley.

Dongen, B., Finn, T., Hansen, V., Wagemakers, A., Lubans, D., & Dally, K. (n.d.). The ATLAS school-based health promotion programme: Does a need-supportive learning context help to motivate adolescent boys? Retrieved September 27, 2020, from https://research.vu.nl/en/publications/the-atlas-school-based-health-promotion-programme-does-a-need-sup

Deng, L., & Tavares, N. (n.d.). Exploring university students' use of technologies beyond the formal learning context: A tale of two online platforms. Retrieved September 27, 2020, from https://ajet.org.au/index.php/AJET/article/view/1505

Thomas, H. (2009, June 05). Learning spaces, learning environments and the dis'placement' of learning. Retrieved September 27, 2020, from https://bera-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.00974.x

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacob Gretencord - Theory Review: Connecting Student Success and the Learning Environment in the Classroom and Workplace

Group Plan - Environment and Context in Learning